The season of Advent is a beautiful way to honor the weeks leading up to Christmas and reflect on what this season means to your family. Celebrating Advent doesn’t have to be a huge production – it’s the quiet moments of family togetherness that make Advent special. We have gathered up a list of 10 ways to make memories together as a family.
If you’re looking to dive deeper into Advent this year, our Everyday Emmanuel devotional book is the perfect way to observe Advent and make the most of the Christmas season for your family.
- Bundle up and take a walk down your street at dusk to view Christmas lights. Bring treats to pass out to any neighbors you might run into.
- Make chocolate covered pretzel rods and cover in red and green sprinkles.
- Play a game of “Christmas Charades” – only act out things that have to do with the holidays! Color/draw a Christmas picture together.
- Challenge your kids to think of a Christmas-themed name for everything you’re eating during a meal.
- Make a list of your favorite Christmas memories.
- Have a quick snowball fight in the front lawn … see if any of your neighbors want to join in!
- Call a family member or friend that lives far away and sing them a special Christmas song.
- Set a timer for 5 minutes and assign everyone to go through their closet, bookshelf or toy bin and pick out something to give to a family in need.
- Decorate a Christmas card for your mail carrier and leave it in your mailbox for a fun surprise.
- Make a simmer pot together – let your kids pick out their favorite scents and spices to simmer on the stove to make your whole house smell festive.
What are your favorite ideas for memory-making during the Advent season? Let us know in the comments!
Christmastime can become overrun with to-do lists and errands. This year, you can break the stressful cycle and create meaningful time together as a family by celebrating advent with Everyday Emmanuel, a fun, easy-to-use family Christmas Countdown experience designed to help families make the most of Christmas and better understand the true meaning of the season. Also available as a digital download.
Additional Christmas resources from What’s In The Bible?
- Buck Denver Asks… Why Do We Call It Christmas?
- Who Is Santa Claus?
- 10 Best Christmas Coloring Pages
- Christmas Family Bible Reading Plan
- An Uncommon Christmas: How To Buy A Cow
- An Uncommon Christmas: Finding Joy When Grief Is Heavy
- Celebrating The Season Of Advent
- Understanding Hanukkah From A Christian Perspective
- Celebrating Advent Together: Making Family Memories
Your family can learn more about the history of Christmas, and how Santa Claus, Christmas Trees and many of our modern holiday traditions point back to Jesus in Phil Vischer’s Buck Denver Asks… Why Do We Call It Christmas? Now streaming on JellyTelly!